2013 KASBP Fall Symposium was held in Edison, NJ on Nov. 15-16 with the participation of about 160 members from all over the US as well as sponsors and guests from Korea. During the event, 13 speakers led the discussion showcasing scientific achievement, regulatory trend, and sponsor presentations. This year’s KASBP-Daewoong achievement award was given to Dr. Joseph Kim (INOVIO Pharmaceuticals) for his contribution in the development of DNA vaccines. Also, seven (7) academic researchers were awarded fellowship who presented their research in the poster session. KASBP would like to thank Daewoong, Green Cross, KUSCO, KSEA, Ildong, Bio-Core, and Lucas & Mercanti, LLP for their generous sponsorships. Speakers, volunteers and attendees are also thanked for making the event such an enriching experience.
The program included the following presentations focused on Cancer Therapeutics and Introductions for sponsors including Deawoong, KHIDI, Ildong, and KSEA.
- Joseph Kim, Ph.D., Inovio Pharmaceuticals, Revolutionizing DNA Vaccines for treating and preventing cancers and infectious diseases
- Kyungjae Myung, Ph.D., NIH, Translating genomic instability to clinical applications
- Kyuhyun Lee, Ph.D., Green Cross Corp./ MBRI (Mogam Biotechnology Research Institute), How to gain a competitive advantage in the flood of antibodies and small molecules intercepting EGFR signal pathway?
- Yosup Rew, Ph.D., Amgen, Structure-Based Design of Novel Inhibitors of the MDM2-p53 Protein-Protein Interaction
- Hai-Young Kim, Ph.D., Merck Research Laboratories, Targeting Cancer using Fragment-Based Drug Discovery
- Yuncheol Kim, Ph.D., Pfizer, A different journey to a lead; Proposing a new antibody discovery platform
- Keunpoong Lim, Ph.D., Yale University School of Medicine, PET (Positron Emission Tomography) modality and its potential application to pharmaceutical industry
- Kyung Myung, Ph.D., Dow AgroSciences LLC, Can agricultural fungicides be used as potential human antifungal drugs? Chong-Ho Kim, Ph.D., Silver Spring, ICH Q11 Development and Manufacture of Drug Substances
Sung In Lim, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Virginia, A Novel Strategy of Protein Bioconjugation to Prolong the Circulation Time In Vivo
JangEun Lee, Ph. D., Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Regulator of fatty acid metabolism, acetyl CoA carboxylase 1 (ACC1), controls T cell activation and survival
Eun Chan Park, Ph.D., Department of Genetics, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Anoxia-Reoxygenation Regulates Mitochondrial Dynamics Through The Hypoxia Response Pathway, SKN-1/Nrf, And Stomatin-Like Protein STL-1/SLP-2
Yunjong Lee, Ph.D., Institute for Cell Engineering,Johns Hopkins University, Parthanatos mediates AIMP2-activated age-dependent dopaminergic neuronal loss
Jun-Dae Kim, Ph.D., Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University, Essential Role of Apelin Signaling during Lymphatic Development in Zebrafish
Bae-Hoon Kim, Ph.D., Department of Microbial Pathogenesis, Yale University, Cellular self-defense: How cell-autonomous immunity by immune GTPase protects against pathogens
Ja Young Kim-Muller, Ph.D., Departments of Medicine, Columbia University, Metabolic Inflexibility Impairs Insulin Secretion and Results In MODY-like Diabetes In Triple FoxO-deficient Mice